In 1920 then parish priest of St. Anne’s Church Rev Fr. Charles Croctaine thought to build a school to give a sound education for the children in the area.
Mr. R. A. De Alwis a well-known philanthropist in Wattala built a school building in Aweriyawatta area from his own expense which enabled Rev. Fr. to accomplish his wish.
The day, 20th of April in 1920 was a significant day for the whole Wattala area. It was the day that Mr. R. A. De Alwis handed over the new school building to the parish priest Rev Fr. Charles Croctaine. Rev. Fr. intern named the school after St. Anne and welcomed the Sisters of Good Shepherd Congregation to be in charge of the new school and lead the administration of the school. Thus the school became St. Anne’s English School which brightened the area shedding her light throughout.
Hence the school was established with Rev. Sr. Mary Bertha as the principal and three other sisters. The school was named after the great grandmother of Jesus Christ, St. Anne. Thus the school became St. Anne’s English School which brightened the area shedding her light throughout.
Even though the school was established for the girls to be educated in English Medium, the boys also were also fortunate to study in grade one and two. Thus at the beginning 3 boys and 10 girls were enrolled to be educated in this school.
Three of the boys who were educated in this school were fortunate to become priests later. They were Rev. Frs. Vincent Deph, Lucian Deph and Alex Ranasinghe.
In 1924 Rev. Sr. Mary Bertha was transferred and Miss Elaine Lorage took over the charge of the school and became the first layperson to become the Principal of the school.
The school was registered as the government funded school during Miss Elaine Lorage‘s term as the principal in 1928.
In 1931 a new era begins with Rev. Sr. Mary Felicitas as the new principal.
In 1932 Rev. Sr. Mary Angel become the principal and the school which was formally established as an English medium school initiate to educate the students in Sinhala medium as well. The lessons were conducted in both mediums English Medium in the mornings and Sinhala Medium in the evening.
By 1935 the student population was risen to 100 with 5 teachers.
In 1940 Rev. Sr. Mary Angels was transferred and Rev. Sr. Mary Adrienne assumed duties as the new principal.
In 1941 the school was raised to a Junior Secondary status during her time as the result of the great effort made by then General Manager of Catholic schools in Colombo diocese Rev. Fr. D. J. Anthony.
It is in 1943 the school establishes a system of houses. The three houses were names as Regina Caeli, Mari Stella, and Mater Admirabilis. The student of grade 6 upwards were divided among those houses and appreciated for their achievements in various domains.
In 1945 by the approval of the home science examiner Miss Weastrop the school forms its home Science Section.
The school marks a significant breakthrough in 1945 as the school becomes a Senior Secondary school which also takes place in the time of Rev. Sr. Mary Adrienne.
In 1949 Rev. Sr. Mary Good Shepherd becomes the principal and in the same year the houses were reformed and established as Andrew, Anthony, Chantal and Pascal and recognized the different accomplishments of the students.
In 1951 the students of the school staged a ballet called Fatima to enhance their sense of arts.
In 1953 bringing fame to school, the students of St Anne’s marched in the parade of the celebration hosted to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth.
1955 was the year in which Rev. Sr. Mary Good shepherd retired and Rev. Sr. Mary Eugene became the principal.
This was the year the school initiated the studies in Commerce and Advanced Level Arts steams. The buildings were for this purpose was constructed along with a home science room and a science laboratory.
During this period the school saw a progress in the co-curricular and extracurricular activities as well.
In the year 1961 under the government decision to acquire the catholic schools under the government administration St. Anne’s also became a government school.
In 1968 the aesthetic section of the school staged a another ballet Hathpethi Mala adopted from a Russian Folk Tale which was performed at the Lionel Wendt theater and many other well-known theaters in several instances.
The school Girl Guide Association was founded in the year 1969. The school Netball team was also created during this period.
In 1971 St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Girls School was merged to the school.
As the student population was increasing in that year the Sacred Heart Convent which was the dormitory of the Good Shepherded sisters was donated by those sisters to the school and the school again had a another stage drama festival as a fund raising for the construction of the new convent for those sisters.
In 1973 both Western and Eastern bands were able to win the first places in the interschool band displays.
In 1973 Rev. Sr. Mary of the Angels became the principal.
The bands of St Anne’s Balika was selected to perform in the Non-Aligned Summit, Colombo in 1976.
In 1977 Mrs. M. L. J. Ferdinandes became the principal of the school and she was the second Layperson to become the principal of St. Anne’s. Construction of a new three story building and a two story building for the primary section too was began in that year.
1978 Sinhala School Anthem was created. The lyrics were written by former teacher Ms. Shriya Fernando and the melody was composed by veteran musician Mr. Shelton Premaratne.
Reformation of the houses were done in the year 1978. The houses were renamed as St. Mary, St. Agnes, St Theresa and St. Cecilia and are existing up to date.
1978 was a significant year in the history of St. Anne’s as it became the best girl’s school in Gampaha district.
Out of 17 students who sat in the Advanced Level Examination 15 students were passed and for the first time in the history of the school three students got selected to the university. Furthermore, the primary section of the school got the first place in the grade five scholarship examination among the school in Wattala division.
The western band received the first place in the school band display competition in Gampaha district in that year.
Mr. Hiran Solangarachchi led off to prepare students for the Advanced Level Examination in the Science Stream and four students succeeded in entering the Medical College.
In 1983 Mrs. Mary Perera initiated to start the advanced level Agriculture stream in the school for the first time and Ms. M.D.F.S. Mallika resumed the studies in the Commerce Stream and then onwards the students of the Commerce Studies were selected to university each year.
1984 then Principal Ms. M.L.J. Ferdinandes was able to secure the school land regarding a footpath which ran through the school premises by taking legal actions.
1986 marked another significant achievement in the history of the school as it won the first place in the advanced level results in Gampaha district. From 1986 to 1988, Annites won admission to universities from all streams of A/Ls.
The Annites led by Mrs. Nemali Amarasinghe were also able to win the music and dancing competition conducted in the Gam Udava Programme in 1987. Under her guidance, from 1986 to 1990, Annites were able to win first place in various categories from the All Island Inter School Dance and Ballet Competitions.
In 1991 Samanthi Kannangara won the first place in the SARRC Quiz Competition.
The primary section of the school was established as an independent school and from that day onwards the school has been called St. Anne’s Balika Maha Vidyalaya.
In 1993 an exhibition called “Nipunatha” was held in order to showcase the talents of the student of the school.
In 1999 Mrs. M. L. J. Ferdinandes who had been the principal of the school for a long tenure retired from her post and Rev. Sr. Mary Rita Fernando assumed duties as the Principal.
During the period of Rev. Sr. Mary Rita Fernando’s administration, in 2001 construction of another three story building was started. Establishment of a new lighting system for the school main hall and the school Computer section were also done under her administration.
The year 2004 marked the beginning of another golden era of the history of the school and the school which was led by the Good Shepherd sisters was passed over to a sister of Dominican congregation. The present principal Rev. Sr. Kanthi Perera took over the leadership of the school.
With the administration of the present principal a significant change has been taken place. The completion of the construction of the new three story building which was being continued then and naming it as St. Rose of Lima, the renovation of the home science building, Science Laboratory and the library was done under her guidance.
In 2005 the chapel of the school was renovated and opened, blessed by then Roman Catholic Archbishop of Colombo Oswald Gomes.
The construction of three-story building and making the school premises more attractive by landscaping in order to create a conducive teaching learning environment was also done during this period.
In 2007 Ishara Madhurangi a student of St. Anne’s won the first place in the event discuss throw under 15 age group placing a new record at the John Tarbet Athletic meet and in the same year she won the first place in both the events, discuss throw and javelin throw at the national women’s athletic meet.
Anne Piyumali of St Anne’s won the first place in the event under 18 Pole Vaulting at the National Junior Athletic Championship in 2008.
In the zonal level competition at the all island dancing competition in 2008 & 2009 Achini Ruwanthika won the first place for her outstanding performance of “Magul Bera”
Ishara Nirmani won the first place in the English creative writing competition at the All Island Creative Writing competition conducted to mark the Literature Month in 2009.
The school Cadet Corps was established on the 8th of March in the year 2010 and the creation of school Cadet Band was followed in the year 2011.
St. Anne’s was also became the proud owner of a bus and a three-wheeler during the time 2012-2014 with the guidance of Rev. Sr Kanthi Perera.
The school also initiated to develop Karate a martial art in the school and the daughters of St. Anne’s brought fame to school by winning an international tournament. Kaushalya Madhuwanthi won the 1st place and Ishara Devindi won the 2nd place at the South Asian Karate Tournament held in India in 2016.
Elani Muller won the 1st place and the school Western Dancing Troupe won the 2nd place at the all island Music and Dancing Championships in 2016.
The revolutionary begging of a new era was when St. Anne’s initiated the transformation process to become a smart school. This was strengthened with the donation of two smart classrooms by the old girls of the school.
2017 marks another significant event in the history of St. Anne’s with the installation of the first ever smart board to one of the smart classrooms.
In 2018 empowered by the system of smart school concept the online entering and analyzing of the marks of term evaluation was started.
Air Scouting was established on the 6th of June 2018.
Annites won four places in Hindu College Inter School ICT Competition. They beat Nalandians and Thomians as well.
K. Sheroll – 1st Place – Presentations
G. Rashmina Cassim – 2nd Place – Presentations
M.M. Avindya Bandara – 2nd Place – Essay Writing
Thahani Samsudeen – 3rd Place – Essay Writing
Thahani Samsudeen – 3rd Place – Pascal Programming
The first ever Buddhist School Head Prefect was appointed in the year 2019. On the 12th of March in that year, Sumudu Saumya took oaths as the head prefect at the prefects’ investiture.
On the 31st of May 2019, the declaration of Centennial Year was made by the General Manager of Catholic schools in Colombo diocese Very Rev. Fr. Ivan Perera.
Another Smart class was donated by the 1986 batch of the old girls on the 4th of June 2019.
The history of St. Anne’s was glittered by the St. Anne’s Cadet Band becoming the Runners-up of the All Island Cadet Band Assessment Camp which was held from 4th to 11th of September in 2019 at Rantambe.
Sithumi Jayathilaka won the 1st place at the all Island Music Competition in 2019 for her outstanding performance of playing “Esraj”.
The Eastern Band and the Western Band won the first place and second place respectively in the girls’ category at 2019 Kelaniya Education Zonal Band Competition.
Ishara Madurangi, the proud former Annite, won the bronze medal in the event discus throw at the 13th South Asian Games in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Mr. Madhawa Wijesekara the Information & Communication Technology teacher won the Smart Teacher Award from the Nenasa Smart School Awards 2019 Competition representing St. Anne’s Balika Maha Vidyalaya among 160 Teachers from 153 schools from Western, Southern, Central and Sabaragamuwa Provinces.